Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 1: First Impressions (cont.) & Driving in Kenya


Sacred Heart Priory
181 Windy Ridge
Karen, Nairobi
Kenya, Africa


Today was our first official day in Karen, Nairobi! We got up for 7am mass. Mass was really cool! Most of the songs were sung in Swahili but the readings and mass parts in general were said in English which was a relief!

After mass we went to breakfast which consisted of toast and coffee/tea. Kate and I were put at separate tables with the sisters. Breakfast was confusing since I had no idea what the sisters do. Sr. Loice guided me through breakfast…I think she saw the “deer and headlights” look I must have been giving. The sisters eat breakfast in silence which is completely fine for me since I am not a morning person (to state the obvious).
After breakfast, Sr. Loice came over to our little guest house to make sure that we are all settled in. She is so sweet and enthusiastic! She wanted to know about our families and where we are from, so we showed her pictures and talked for a while.

Around 9am, Sr. Benedicta gave us a tour of the convent grounds. She showed us where the animals are kept- 2 cows, lots of chickens, some goats, some cats and dogs, and lots of rabbits!!
Kate & Me: “Oh! Look at the cute bunnies!!”
Sr. Benedicta: “They are excellent meat! Tastes like chicken!”

We also got to see the dispensary/clinic, the cemetery, the laundry room, and the gardens where they grow maise, urgula, carrots, avocados, bananas, oranges, eggplant, etc.

Around 10am, Sr. Serva and Sr. Elizabeth drove us to Ruarka to go see the kindergarten and the maternity ward. Some of the sisters live there and so we sat down for tea/coffee, cake, and fruit. Kate kind of panicked because I was eating the bananas and mangoes that they offered which technically we are not supposed to eat since we aren’t sure what kind of water they are washed in, etc. However, thus far there haven’t been any bad side effects so I’m hoping the fruit won’t  come back to haunt me later!
The sisters showed us around the school and the clinic. Most of the school was locked since it is not in session for another few weeks. However, the nurse at the maternity ward let us go see one of the new babies! So cute!

We left around 12pm and said good-bye to Sr. Elizabeth who will be returning to Germany. We drove around for what seemed like a long time to get to the supermarket down the street from the convent in Karen.
  
Ok…here is where I tell you a bit about Kenyan driving…IT IS INSANE!! You think drivers in the states are crazy…Let me tell you…Kenyan driving is on a whole different level! I’ve seen driving in Boston, in the D.C. area, in N.C., all down the East US coast, and in Italy but I have seen NOTHING…NOTHING I say that compares to this! First of all, there is a major highway that was built recently according to the sisters. However, most of the other roads are either dirt or very poorly paved. Street signs are pretty much obsolete. There are some signs for small side streets and a posting here or there for the speed limit and an occasional “Stop” sign. Speed limit is relative. One minute you could be cruising at a steady 20kph/mi…then the next you could be flying at speeds of 80kph/mi! The steering wheel is on the right side of the car which makes sitting in the passenger seat seem a little odd. Since there are no street lights or stop signs (for the most part), trying to turn or pull into traffic is pretty crazy. People- drivers and pedestrians included- think they own the road! There’s a lot of traffic, so you see cars off-roading along the highway to pass people. Further, people just walk across the highway like it’s no big deal! Although there are some crossroads and speed bumps (which are so much bigger than normal speed bumps) to slow the cars down in the more populated parts of the highway, people don’t think twice about walking/running through the traffic. It is seriously overwhelming/scary!

When we got to the supermarket, Kate and I had our first shopping/money exchange experience! We went to the electronic store and the lady and guy there showed us where to exchange our money and helped us pick out a phone, internet connector, and a plug adapter for my computer. We had no clue what they were talking about when they were trying to explain the cost but they were really patient with us!

We had lunch when we got back to the convent which consisted of 2kinds of rice (white & a brown spicy kind); a mixture of beans, corn, & potatoes; cooked eggplant; and cooked carrots that tasted pretty sweet. At 4pm, Sr. Michael Marie (prioress) showed us the retreat center and some of the gardens around the convent. She mentioned that our first task for next week will be painting the hallway and rooms for the novices…I’m sure Fr. Chris will find this amusing since he had us painting the monastery last week! WE LOVE PAINTING! ;)

Lunch: white rice, brown random spicy rice (which had mystery meat in it), sweet carrots, and eggplant...This is also what dinner looked like...


5:45pm was Vespers followed by dinner. I sat with Sr. Rosett who is a pre-novice from Uganda. We talked about vocations and I got to ask her a little bit about how she decided to be a nun. During dinner, one of the other sisters noticed that I was struggling peeling an orange with the little knife I had…
Sr. Rosett: “She needs a wife…I mean WIFE!”
I proceed to tell her that if she wanted to get me a husband that would be fine as well! ;)

Anyways…right now Kate and I are just chilling. Sr. Loice checked in on us and wished us good night while also telling us how impressed she is at how well we are adjusting. She is so cute! The sisters are so sweet! Many of them have introduced themselves but I'm having trouble remembering who is who.

And on a final note…It is sooo dark in my room right now! I even lit the candle on my desk….I feel like a little hermit…

No comments:

Post a Comment