Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Chumba" in Chesongoch



Hello, friends! It's been a month since I updated my blog! Time has flown by! As I mentioned in the previous post, Kate, Harris, and I spent the month of January at the convent in Chesongoch in the Kerio Valley. It was truly one of the best experiences I have had here in Africa. Despite the overwhelming heat, bugs, monster spiders, and crowing roosters, I absolutely loved the time we spent in the Valley. There is nothing better than waking up and walking outside to a beautiful sunny day with a breathtaking view of the mountains.

Unlike Karen, we were in the middle of nowhere! Think long, bumpy dirt roads and "Jungle Book" huts. The trip itself took a full day of travel, stopping for a brief lunch and visit at the Eldoret and Kimumu convents. What I loved best about Chesongoch was the laid-back pace, family style mealtimes, and the peacefulness of the surrounding area. It was a great change of pace and scenery.

Before giving you the day-by-day updates....Here is some quick info about the work & the sisters in Chesongoch. :)

Kate, Harris, and I spent Monday-Friday painting, working in the dispensary, and playing with the kids at school. Most of the tasks were fairly simple and monotonous (like sorting rice and beans, folding gauze, painting, dish washing, etc), but I think it was a good experience being able to work together since we are separated in Karen and Nairobi.

The sisters in Chesongoch are so awesome! I just love them! Sr. Jacinta is the one in charge in the convent and at the primary school. She is for the most part kind of serious but is very kind and helpful. We had a lot of communication issues trying to figure out when and how we would be returning to Nairobi. However, in the end Sr. Jacinta was arranged for Tony to drive all of us up to Eldoret to avoid a long matatu ride.

Sr. Pia is hilarious! She is Sr. Michael Marie's sister. Since she is also from the States, I found that she was the easiest to talk to. When I first met Sr. Pia a few months back, I admit that I didn't quite know what to think of her. It was really great getting to know her better and work with her in the surgery department of the dispensary. She is such a wonderful and considerate person.

Sr. Bernadette is the most serious of the sisters. You can never tell whether she is happy or mad. She works in the dispensary and handles a lot of the emergency cases that occur. I think this is why she seems really stressed and tired. In the 3 weeks we spent in Chesongoch, there were two poisoning incidents at the dispensary. The first one was a man who tried to take his life. The second incident was a woman 9 months pregnant who was poisoned by her husband. Very sad cases. But I found that when Sr. Bernadette wasn't working she was a lot more relaxed and happy. I also discovered that like me she is not a morning person!

Sr. Angela is exactly what her name says...an angel! She is so kind and such a sweet person. She works at the school with the middle class students. She always has a smile on her face and a positive attitude.

Last but certainly not least is Sr. Thecla. She is the cutest and tiniest little sister I have ever met! Sr. Thecla works in the dispensary and stands less than 5 feet tall (I would guess). All 3 of us really bonded with Sr. Thecla, especially Harris. She is just super sweet. The morning we left to go back to Nairobi she was crying as we said good-bye. I had to put my sunglasses on when we started the drive because I was tearing up. The sisters are just so wonderful! Being able to spend 3 weeks with these beautiful women and to get to know them so well was really special.

So here is the recap! Enjoy!


WEEK1 (Jan. 7th-13th)

MONDAY


On the road again! Long day of travelling! Today’s travel group was Sr. Michael Marie at the wheel, Sr. Pia, Sr. Stella Maris, Kate, Harris, me, and…Rex…the dog who shared the trunk with me and Harris. It was quite the adventure! Rex was very well-behaved- surprisingly.

We left Karen around 9am and made it to Eldoret around 1:30pm for lunch. From Eldoret, we stopped in at Kimumu and said “Hello” to the German girls- Katharina and Steffy.

On the way to Chesongoch we saw a double rainbow! I don’t know what it is but I have never seen more beautiful and vibrant rainbows than here in the Valley. They are absolutely breathtaking!

We stopped near Sr. Stella Maris' house to drop her off and were greeted by a bunch of kids.

We arrived in Chesongoch around 7pm. We put our stuff in the guest house and had dinner with the sisters. 

After getting settled in, Kate and I watched the 1st part of an “Anne of Green Gables” movie.

Also, there was a GINORMOUS spider in the shower. So gross.

TUESDAY
Day One of the rooster wake-up call! It is impossible to not get up in the morning when from around 4am-11am the roosters are crowing non-stop! I also fell asleep to the oh so melodious sound of one dog attacking another outside. Ah the call of the wild!

We didn't do much today. We took a walk down to the junction to see what was around the convent. Harris made friends with everyone on the road. One of the men ran up to turn us around because we were heading towards an area swarmed with bees.

I've decided that I already like the atmosphere and camaraderie of Chesongoch a lot better than the other places I've been. I like that we are in the middle of nowhere. This is more of what I pictured Africa to be like. It’s nice to be away from the distractions of the Nairobi area. Furthermore, with only 5 sisters here, it is a lot easier to get to know them. Mealtime is great because there is more interaction between everyone. I also find it really fun how we all pray and do dishes together. There’s such a great family feel here that is really comforting.

< There was a GINORMOUS spider in Kate’s room. It was hilarious watching Harris try to kill it while Kate freaked out. Free entertainment!


WEDNESDAY
Sr. Bernadette wanted to take Sr. Michael Marie up to the house of Robert, one of the worker’s, who was requesting to build a larger home for his family. With Robert and Sr. Bernadette leading the way, Sr. Michael Marie, Kate, and I began our trek up the mountain to Robert’s house at 6:30am.

The trek wasn't that bad for the most part. However, Sr. Bernadette and Robert stopped often along the way to point out different homes and to explain the watering system. At one point, Robert had to help us across this river to show us the water tanks. It is amazing how they have built the system! Sr. Bernadette explained at one point how there was this one spot at the river diversion where only elder men can sit. These elder men are in charge of protecting the water diversion and making sure that people don’t divert the water for their own purposes. They also collect money and goats from the people using the water.

Along the hike, there were a bunch of kids hiking to school. They kept stopping and staring at us and many of them followed us along the route. Since there aren't any “wazungu” (white people) in the area, we were an amusing site for them! We also saw a lot of goats and huge termite hills along the way.

After an hour and a half of climbing, we finally made it to Robert’ house. We met a woman (who I think was Robert's wife) and his son and two kids (one who was his granddaughter and the other baby they were babysitting for a neighbor). On Robert’s property, they had a small hut shared by 5 people, a small storage hut for food, and many banana trees. Robert’s granddaughter Faith started crying when she saw us and tried to run away when Kate gave her candy. This is normal for a lot of the Kenyan kids who have had little to no interaction with white people.


5 people live in this tiny hut!
Huge termite hill!
The hike back to the convent took 50mins. Robert took us a different route through the “shambas” (farms). All in all it was a good adventure!

Alas alas…we discovered another huge spider in my room. However, since I have gained bug killing skills living with Kate I managed to slaughter it on my own.   Spider-0     Me-1

We came back and rested a bit. At night, we played our first game of Uno. Harris is already taking the lead as the Uno master!

THURSDAY
Kate, Harris, and I had our first official day of work. We started painting the walls in the maternity ward at the dispensary. First we had to spackle the cracks since whoever constructed them didn't make the walls flush. Oh ya…we spackled them using spoons…that was interesting. Then, we got to work painting the teal on the walls.



Played another round of Uno. Harris is still winning. Kate and I watched “The Little Black Book”.

FRIDAY
Did more painting in the maternity ward. Harris and Kate finished the teal and white while I did the black stripes on the bottom of the wall. It looks really good compared to how it looked when we started.

At 5pm, I went for a run by myself. I ended up being chased down the dirt road by 30+ Kenyan kids on their way home from school. It was hilarious looking beside and behind me and seeing all these kids laughing and running along with big sticks in their hands. I’m not sure who was having more fun- them or me!

SATURDAY
I was supposed to go on a hike up the mountain with the security guard, Sr. Thecla, Harris, and Kate but I opted out since I felt sick yesterday and didn't want to be stuck up the mountain in the middle of nowhere if I got sick again. Instead, I slept in and watched “Because I Said So”. It was nice to be able to do my own thing and have lunch with just Sr. Jacinta, Sr. Pia, and Sr. Angela. I actually got to lead the conversation for once! Sounds stupid, but it was nice since I’m usually pretty quite.

SUNDAY
Egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast- #winning.

2hour long mass followed by a 1hour long money collecting process for a new piano and speakers for the church. During Mass, I became friends with the little girl beside me. She kept wanting to hold my hand and play with my hair. Her curiosity led to several other kids coming over to sit near the “wazungu” row.

WEEK2 (Jan. 14th-20th)

MONDAY


Kate and I worked in the dispensary. In the morning, we helped Sr. Pia by cutting and folding gauze bandages as part of the preparation process for the new “theatre”/surgery department.

In the afternoon, we helped Sr. Thecla by packaging medicine. We also went on a walk down the street which was nice.

TUESDAY
In the morning, Kate and I helped Sr. Thecla in the dispensary sorting medicine. We also helped Sr. Pia in the “theatre”/”surgery” sorting scrubs, cutting up cloths, and fixing the log book. It started down-pouring on our walk back to our rooms.

WEDNESDAY
We got to work in the school today with the babies! Kate and I helped the babies color shapes. It was really quiet and awkward at first but when I started humming and singing the kids copied everything I did leading to an amusing game of “Copy Cat”. I’m trying to teach them how to say “wicked awesome”. It is highly amusing!



During porridge break, one of the teachers named Faith was telling us about her husband and kids. She told us how her husband is jobless and concluded with “Ladies…Love is blind!”. She also kept trying to get us to sponsor her kids for school. We get asked for money on a daily basis...one of the frustrations of life as a missionary in Africa!



After the kids had their porridge, Kate and I hung out with them at recess. I ran around chasing the kids and playing dead. The kids were screeching with delight! Such a fun bunch! :)

THURSDAY
Kate and I went to the school and helped the babies color. This time we drew houses for them. Teacher Gladys wanted us to teach the kids some songs and games when we came back in the afternoon. Kate and I attempted to teach the kids “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”, “Mr. Sun”, “The Hokey Pokey”, “The Chicken Dance”, and “The Itsy Bitsy Spider”. It’s difficult trying to teach even the simplest songs and games since the kids speak very limited English.


After lunch, Kate, Harris, and I worked on painting the convent’s entrance fence. It was wicked hot out but it looked pretty good when we were done with it.

FRIDAY


Kate and I went to the school and helped the babies color in different fish that we drew for them.

Before lunch, Kate and I put the finishing touches on the fence.

After lunch, Kate and I went to the dispensary to fold more gauze.

SATURDAY
In the morning, Kate, Harris, and I sat outside sipping on Sprites. It was a really nice day out!

I spent the afternoon splitting open green bean pods and putting the peas in a huge bowl with Kate.

Kate and I moved our stuff out of the guest house and put it in one of the convent bedroom’s since the convent is expecting about 30 people for a teachers' conference.

Kate and I got to make an “American” dinner for the sisters- homemade macaroni & cheese and mashed potatoes. I told Kate that if the macaroni turned out bad I was going to give her all the credit for it since I was in charge of the mashed potatoes. Fortunately, both turned out great so all went well! :)

Don't get too excited...It's about the only thing I can successfully make! :p
SUNDAY
We went to mass with the sisters. We had to stand up in front of the congregation of hundreds of people and introduce ourselves. Harris asked if anyone could braid his hair and a guy told Sr. Thecla that he knew someone who could do it tomorrow.






Fr. Simon Peter wanted to take us to the big market past Endo in the Pokot territory. So at 3pm we went on a long car ride to the market. At first Father was going to just turn around and drive back which was kind of pointless since we drove over an hour to get there. Harris asked him to stop so we could at least walk around the market. Once again, we were quite a spectacle to all the people in the market. I am sure the people were curious about why there were three random white people walking around a market in the middle of nowhere. What can I say? We make a scene everywhere we go.



WEEK3 (Jan. 21st-27th)

MONDAY
Kate and I worked in the dispensary sorting medicine and folding lots of gauze.

The 30 teachers are all here. We have to do dishes all week for them. Dinner dishes take forever but it’s kind of fun spending time with the sisters and Kate and Harris even if it is to do a chore.

TUESDAY
Kate and I helped out at the school sorting beans for Sr. Jacinta. Like the rice, you have to sort the beans to make sure there aren't any rocks or straw and stuff in them. Pretty monotonous work but it wastes time.

We went to the dispensary in the afternoon and made 2 rolls worth of cotton balls- aka a huge box filled to the top.

WEDNESDAY

Harris helped us sort the rest of the beans today. We all went to the dispensary in the afternoon and sorted 
more medicine and made more cotton balls.

THURSDAY
All three of us painted two rooms of the staff quarters. I discovered a baby scorpion in one of the rooms…then I killed it with a machete. True story.

We went over to the school during recess time to organize gym class activities. Teacher Faith organized tire races, a relay, and a "Duck Duck Goose" type of game. Kate and I taught the kids and teachers "The Hokey Pokey" and "Little Sally Walker". It was exhausting but so much fun!




Doing "The Hokey Pokey"!
In the afternoon, we went back and did a quick 2nd coat on the rooms. Then, we all worked in the dispensary doing the last of the medicine, cotton balls, and gauze. Sr. Thecla told us at dinner that we've done so much work at the dispensary that they don’t have anything else for us to do there! We organized enough medicine for an entire year! People here think it’s crazy how fast we get stuff done. We just know what needs to be done and we do it…no taking our time! We are wicked productive! J

On a random note, Kate, Harris, and I have been having these epic Uno, Go Fish, and Kings in the Corner battles! We switched to Kings in the Corner since Harris keeps dominating Uno. I would just like to announce the fact that when we played this afternoon I had one EPIC turn where I won the game on the very first turn/first move of the game. Harris and Kate doubt my “Big Comeback” but it is totally happening!

He was mad that I was strategically withholding cards. :)
ALSO, the calico cat had her kittens today!! There are four kittens- one calico, one tan, one white, and (my favorite) the runt that is white with a few black spots and a black tail. They look like scrawny little rats. J

FRIDAY

Sr. Bernadette wanted us to paint the “kitchen” of the staff quarters and the bathrooms. It took so long waiting for the paint that Kate and I left Harris to do it since Sr. Jacinta also needed us to make the beds and prepare the rooms for the 16 guests from Netherlands who are arriving tonight. Salome, the Kenyan maid who was showing us how to prepare the beds and rooms, doesn't speak any English so it was amusing trying to communicate what to do. We learned the proper Kenyan way to make beds. Let me just say that fitted sheets would be REVOLUTIONARY here…along with real brooms, lawnmowers, etc. The list goes on and on.

After lunch, Kate and I helped Harris finish the 1st coat of paint for the staff quarters’ kitchen and bathroom area. There was a GINORMOUS spider in the toilet section. This old man kept trying to take our paint cans. He said he would trade us maize for them…only in Kenya!

We got Sprite from Sr. Bernadette and then played cards.

I made another epic tomato grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. It's the little things in life! ;)

Harris said that Sr. Bernadette told him the big emergency this morning was a woman who was 9 months pregnant was poisoned by her husband. This is the second poison incident we've heard while in Chesongoch.

SATURDAY
Sr. Bernadette cooked the meals today since it’s Barnaba's day off.

We didn't do much today. I did some reading. We played cards.

In the afternoon, Harris, Kate, and I went on a walk. They wanted to show me the road they walked on to get to the base of the big mountain they hiked. We ended up being followed by about 30 village kids who said they were on their way home. They kept asking us our names, where we were from, and if we could teach them English. It was slightly annoying at first but after a while I enjoyed the company. You can’t really get mad at these kids. Most of them have never seen a white person before. They kept saying how soft my skin was. I can’t help but think this is what celebrities must feel like when they are being stalked by the paparazzi…no wonder so many celebs snap! It is quite overwhelming being the center of attention!

We walked for almost a half hour and then chased the kids down the road. They usually laugh and scream when Harris chases them…and cry when Kate does. Haha ;)

Before dinner we played some cards. Harris and Kate are quickly closing in on my winning streak.

After dinner, we watched “Just Friends” at Harris’ living room in Father’s house. Kate and I had to walk back and face the convent dogs. They are so scary! Fortunately, the guard on duty came to shoo them away when he heard the commotion.

SUNDAY
Today is Sr. Angela’s feast day!

We went to Mass.

Sr. Pia and Sr. Thecla are cooking today! The meals have been very good.

I finished reading my books and spent some time sorting through the things I want to leave in Chesongoch.

We had a little celebration for Sr. Angela's feast day and for our upcoming departure. Sr. Pia and Sr. Thecla provided the entertainment. Sr. Bernadette wrote a really beautiful poem about gifts. It was really great to all spend time together and to say our good-byes. I love this group!

According to Sr. Angela, it is a tradition to feed the guests a piece of cake. :)
WEEK4 (Jan. 25th-Feb. 3rd)

MONDAY
Our last full day in Chesongoch! Kate, Harris, and I sorted rice and then played with the kids during recess.

Kate and I walked around in the afternoon. We stopped by the library so I could donate my books and went to the church to take pictures.



Kate, Harris, and I prepared dinner. We made mashed potatoes, peas, rice, and mushroom soup.

TUESDAY
We left for Eldoret around 8am. It was sad to say good-bye to the sisters after getting to know them so well the past 3weeks. The car ride wasn't too bad. The roads are a lot better than they were in November. We stopped at the "High Altitude Training Facility" outside of Eldoret where all the major athletes and Olympians train. We were given a short tour but unfortunately couldn't see all of the facilities since there were high profile athletes there (whose names could not be revealed to us).

We spent the night in Eldoret. The German girls spent the night as well so that we could hang out for one last time. They are so awesome! They even came with us to the bus station to say our last good-byes.

WEDNESDAY
We took the bus from Eldoret to Nairobi. We saw some zebras grazing along the highway which was pretty awesome.

When we arrived in Nairobi, Kate and I luckily found the 111 bus to Karen.

Coming back to the convent was overwhelming! We made it in time for dinner and were welcomed by all the sisters.


-----

The past few days Kate and I have been running errands to prepare for our Tanzania trip to climb Mount Kilimanjaro! It is finally hitting me that we are going to attempt to summit the tallest freestanding mountain in the world- the "Roof of Africa"! Be sure to check my blog in a week for pictures and stories about the climb! Please pray for our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment