Wednesday, February 20, 2013




Nakupenda, Kenya- Lessons Learned & Last Thoughts
6months. A half year has flown by and here I am getting ready to catch my flight back to the United States. Crazy! People keep on telling me that this experience was the opportunity of a lifetime. Looking back on it, I can only agree with them.

Even now, I still do not feel that I have fully processed the fact that I spent 6months in a 3rd world country. To me, it feels like I’ve been away at a college and I’m just now going home for “break”. As soon as I land in the US, I know the questions will start coming.

“What did this experience teach you?”
“What was your favorite part?”
“What was it like?!”
“How is this going to change your life and how you live it?”

It’s hard to put into words exactly how Africa has changed me and my way of thinking. I know that there are many things I will not take for granted. I know that I learned priceless lessons about the value of work, family, friendship, and simplicity. However, I also know that it is very likely I will slip back into my old, comfortable ways. That is a thought I would rather not indulge in.

My main objective of this post is to answer some of these questions and in the best way I can pin point the things that made a major impression on me. No words or number of pictures or amount of storytelling can fully express my 6 months in Kenya. It is something you have to come experience for yourself. J

::Lessons Learned::

1.      Experience is the greatest teacher.:: My thoughts on life are that you learn more in the real world than in the classroom. I could read an endless amount of books and study maps of Africa, but classroom “book smarts” do not compare to the experience that is Africa. My past 6 months of “real world experience” has taught me priceless lessons about life and what is important to me.
2.      The Value of Family:: This is a two-fold statement. First of all, you don’t realize how amazing your family is until they aren’t around you 24/7. One of the hardest parts of this 6-month journey was missing out on major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and not being at home to celebrate my family’s traditions. Furthermore, it was my first major separation from my twin. On the other hand, the importance people place on family in Kenya has deepened my appreciation for my loved ones back home, and after 6 months I’ve even come to consider the Benedictine Sisters as a part of my extended family.
3.      The Value of Friendship:: One thing I am constantly being reminded as the years pass is that I have world class friends! From the ones I talk to every day to the crazy, random friendships I’ve made over the years, I don’t know who I’d be without my friends. It was a huge blessing to be able to have Kate and Harris here to share this African adventure with. They both helped me so much. They have taught me to appreciate other people’s strengths and to do things I wouldn’t have thought possible (Mount Kilimanjaro!). They have been a great source of encouragement, laughter, and entertainment! We had our ups and downs, but overall I don’t think I could have been put with two better people.
4.      The Beauty of the Sisterhood:: This was a cool thought I had the other day…I HAVE SOOO MANY SISTERS!!! There are my 4 (blood related) sisters, my numerous ESA sorority sisters, and now my beautiful Benedictine Sisters! Each of these incredible groups of women have shown me what it means to be a woman of God and to be proud of the person I am. They have been there through laughter and tears, each contributing to my life in a different special way. I know that where ever I am in the world, I will always have this amazing network of women who will be behind me supporting, encouraging, and showing me what sisterhood and friendship really mean.
5.      Simplicity- Less is More!:: Africa has taught me that I CAN live with less. Living here and visiting people’s homes and being a part of the Benedictine community has taught me that it is the people in your life that matter most. You can surround yourself with wealth and material goods, but none of that will bring a smile to your face and warmth in your heart like a good friend or family member. One of Africa’s little mottos seems to be “If it’s not broken don’t fix it”. People here use things until they can use them no more and they are incredibly creativity and resourceful! I’ve realized I don’t need the “next big thing”. I don’t need the top of the line phone or the fancy car. All I need is to surround myself with good people who make me a better person. This is a lesson I really hope I don’t soon forget when I go home.
6.      The Importance of Tradition & Culture:: One of the really cool things about Africa is the way tradition and culture are still a very noticeable part of everyday life. The music, the dancing, the jewelry, the traditional clothing…all of these things set Africa part as a special place. I think it is important to remember where you came from. Traditions and cultural practices are a way of remembering your roots.
7.      The Importance of Work:: One of my favorite parts about being a missionary worker is all the different kinds of people I got to meet and work with. I have befriended security guards, cooks, waiters, taxi cab drivers, people of religious life, artisans, craft sellers, gardeners, nurses, teachers, mountain guides and porters, and an endless list of other interesting characters. Getting to know all these people and gain a better understanding of their professions has truly taught me the importance of work and vocations. I feel like at home in the US people often turn their noses up to people who do work that they would consider “beneath them”. However, the functioning of society is dependent on these hardworking people who do the little tasks that many would not eagerly pursue. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. We are called to different vocations. This lesson has taught me to accept my life calling with a greater enthusiasm and to show a greater appreciation for different professions.
8.      A Lesson in Vanity:: Being a “mzungu” in Africa can be a tough lesson in self-awareness. Being the subject of many curious gazes and random inquiries can drive a person crazy. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I wish I could blend in while simply walking down the street. It’s frustrating being the center of attention! You feel like everything you do is under scrutiny. What I have learned from this, however, is to not worry so much about my appearance and what people think of me. My thought lately has been that there will always be people who judge you or will give you a critical look over. Don’t let that keep you from going about your day and just being you.
9.      Time is Relative/”Pole, pole”:: It’s a well known fact in Kenya that everything runs on “African time”. People are not big fans of clocks around here! What I’ve learned from this and the motto “pole, pole” (“slowly, slowly”) is to take my time and not rush through life. Too often we are in such a hurry to get somewhere that we don’t stop and take in our surroundings. We’re so busy getting from Point A to Point B that we ignore the people around us. So the next time you are in a hurry, take a few minutes and take in your surroundings. Don’t miss out on life!
10.   “Do small things with great love.” (Mother Theresa):: What I’ve learned from my work in Kenya is that you should follow Mother Theresa’s example and do even the smallest things with great love! Whether you are feeding babies or mopping floors, remember that all of your actions are significant and in some small way affect your life and the people around you. We are not all called to be Nobel Peace Prize winners and Medal of Honor recipients…However, we are all called to be saints! Be grateful for the gift of life you have been given. Put your whole heart and soul into your work. People will notice the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment