Friday, January 4, 2013

WEEK17: Keebler Elves


(December 17th-23rd)


LAST WEEK at “Feed the Children” and “Cottolengo”! I am feeling bittersweet about it. In the past 3months of work at the orphanages, I have grown really attached to these kids and it amazes me looking back on pictures and seeing how big the babies have gotten! There have been many ups and downs in the past 4months of my adventures in Kenya, but these kids have truly been one of the best parts of being here. I love them to pieces. It is going to be difficult leaving here and knowing that it is very likely that I may never see these kids again. However, I feel so blessed to be a part of their lives and for them to be a part of mine.

MONDAY
Hung out with my baby crew of Patty, Solo, and Dexter. Little Maggie is finally letting us hold her without crying and screaming! This is a big break-through, people! She also peed all over me when I held her. Oh well. We are bonding! Baby steps...literally!

In the afternoon, we watched “The Land Before Time” with the bigger kids. Love that series! Broguht me back to my childhood. :) I also got to watch one of the mamas put hair extensions in Blessing’s hair which I thought was really cool.

TUESDAY
Cookies, cookies, COOKIES! Kate and I spent the whole morning in the kitchen making hundreds of cookies. I am not exaggerating. It’s like there is a never ending supply of cookie dough!
We spent the afternoon working on a slideshow for next year’s BVC group. It’s crazy looking at the photos from 4months ago! Time is flying by!

It rained on and off all day so internet was out a lot. This gave me some time to catch up on journaling, cleaning, and sleeping! Priorities, right?

WEDNESDAY

Kate & I spent the morning decorating cookies with the sisters! It was fun being able to hang out with the sisters and do something together. It was a rule that we were all only allowed to eat the broken cookies....Of course this led to a theological analogy about the brokenness of the cookies in compared to Jesus' broken body on the cross and the brokenness of man...Who knew decorating cookies could be so theological?!

In other news, Kate and I started watching "House" from Season 1- soo addicting! Love that show! I also started reading good ole Pope Benny's "God is Love" which is absolutely FANTASTIC! <3

THURSDAY




Last day at "Feed the Children"!!! Gosh...time just fly by!!


Spent the morning with my babies! I admit I got a bit teary putting the babies down for naptime and kissing them good-bye. I love my little angels... <3




The afternoon with our other kids was so much fun! Kate and I gave the kids bouncy balls, lollipops, stickers, and plastic watches as a parting gift. The kids absolutely loved them! After months of them obsessing over our watches, it was great seeing how excited they were to have their own little watches.




Before leaving, Mama Jane gathered the kids in the playroom and presented us with gifts and a letter from the kids


FRIDAY
Last day at "Cottolengo"! Kate and I prepared for battle by stopping by Nakumatt for some donuts. :)
The day did not go as smoothly as I hoped! Potty time began all right with me entertaining the kids while Kate watched the babies. However, after about 10mins., the kids found the faucet and their potties a lot more fun to mess with...Hence, chaos followed!

After tea break, I decided to break out the bouncy balls! I had the kids sit in a circle and repeatedly told them how we were going to play nice and SHARE...Of course, most of this went in one ear and out the other! It probably would have been more effective in Swahili. With a little help from one of the Mamas, I was able to hold a fairly successful game of catch with minimal injuries and crying.




Despite all the craziness and chaos of working at "Cottolengo", I do appreciate the time I spent there. Although I at times I dreaded walking to work Friday morning, I am happy that I got to spend time with these kids and the Mamas. The people at Cottolengo truly do the best they can to provide a healthy and loving environment for these kids. One of my favorite things about Cottolengo was watching how the older kids interact with the younger ones. It is great to see that although these kids are all from different families together they form one big family.

************************************************************************

The question I have been asked the most from friends and family back home (and that I am sure I will have to answer over and over again when I go home) is "How has this experience changed you?". Quite frankly, so much of my African experience seems surreal. I truly can't put into it into words. Some days I feel like I am just away at college or at a summer camp. Other days, it really hits me how far from home I am- especially hearing about the accomplishments and experiences of my friends and family back at home. Every day is different and each new work experience I have has definitely taught me different things I about life and love and learning to appreciate how blessed my life has been.

What I really want to tell people is this...

It doesn't matter where you are or where you go or what you are doing...Every day you are given dozens of opportunities to make a difference.

I know this sounds rhetorical from what I've said in previous posts, but I really want to drive this point home!

One of my biggest struggles being here is this constant internal turmoil about what I am supposed to do with my life. Part of my reasoning behind my decision to come to Africa with the BVC was to have these 6months to have a variety of new experiences and give myself time to decide what I want my future to look like. Although I haven't come any closer to that out, I feel like being here is motivating me to really consider what is important in my life and what I can do to live a purposeful life.

So here's my cheesy, free advice for anyone in a similar state of mind...Don't stress about setting time limits or particulars on what you want to do with your life. You don't have to have it all figured out right this very minute! In the meantime, fill your life with as many different experiences as you can so you can figure out what gives your life meaning and what things you are passionate about. Simple? Maybe. Cheesy? Probably. That is where my mind is at I suppose. ;)

::Random Funny Moments::

At Cottolengo... "Are you engaged? Are you married?? Are you becoming a nun??" All of this being asked in a 5mins conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment